Monday 31 March 2014

Oh Gloves, where art thou?

Posted by Rosie


I am not by choice a gardener who wears gloves.  I like to feel the plants on my bare hands and I am just too clumsy when I have gloves on.  Nor am I am not worried about having non-perfect nails.  However that said, there are certain times when glove wearing is a necessity, like when digging through the stinging nettles that have invaded part of the fruit patch.  But where oh where gloves art thou?  I searched where should have been - the polytunnel, I looked where they often are - the boot rack and I widened the hunt to a few other places they have ended up - the feed shed and all my coat pockets.  No gloves.  But in the process I did find another pair so off I trundled to locate my fork and a wheel-barrow.  These I am pleased to say were where they should have been.

As I strode into the fruit patch what did I find ... right there, on the ground next to the fruit prunings I cut far more weeks ago than I care to mention and that I have STLL not cleared away*?  There was something red there.  My gloves!!  I remember now, the last time I wore them was when I pruned the prickly fruit bushes!

That is why you have a picture of a pair of very soggy gloves drying out on some sticks in the polytunnel.  Please therefore do remind me that I have put them there because I am sure I won't remember when I next need them!

Is there something you are constantly losing?  Car keys, children, your sanity?  I suppose there could be many worse things to lose than my gardening gloves!

* I am pleased to say that at long last, thanks to my spare pair of gloves, I have finally cleared away all the fruit prunings.  It only took me six weeks to do!




20 comments :

  1. Door keys! I usually lose them when i am running late in preschool run =P

    Nice post! Cunning way to make a reminder as to where things are.

    Happy Monday! #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanki you - car keys I am OK with but there's plenty else I lose.

      Delete
  2. Car keys are the worst for me, I have to hang them up as soon as I come in or I loose them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine go straight on the peg otherwise in our madhouse I would never find them!

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, I love this! Where else to keep your gloves but at the last prickly patch? I've just started wearing my glasses again and am driving myself mad losing them ALL THE TIME! I'm just like my mum saying, Where have I put my glasses? constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My glasses tend to stay on the desk - however I often forget to take them with me when I need them.

      Delete
  4. That's brilliant Rosie - love that photo too, just excellent! I've developed a habit of double checking I have things I need in my bag. It's a sign of getting old isn't it! At least you know where your gloves are now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci - I wish I could remember to double check my bag as I so often forget my phone!

      Delete
  5. Glad you found the gloves in the end! I am terrible for losing things, car keys and camera chargers are the worst culprits in my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chargers have an allocated drawer so they tend to be OK and keys on the key hooks .. but my phone ends up in all sorts of places as does the camera. I often forget to take both of those with me!

      Delete
  6. I'm constantly doing this with many household and garden objects that to list them all would take way too much of your time, however the most scary garden equipment item I keep mislaying are my secetauers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lost pair of secateurs somewhere in the garden and I have never tracked them down after more than a year. Today though I found another lost glove and guess where? Next to the prickly fruit bushes! It was beyond saving though so may have been there since the previous year!

      Delete
  7. haha, at least you found them in the end. Good to know I'm not the only one to leave things lying around for a while ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slight panic this morning - no car keys. Simon had left one set in the car and the others were in my coat pocket.

      Delete
  8. Aaaw glad you found them. I am very good in hiding things...that good that I can't remember where I've put them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cups of tea - always finding my favourite mug in the veg patch, where it often looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dear poor gloves - they must have been rather soggy! I'm glad you found them, and now even if you can't remember where you left them next time at least you know you wrote it down!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.