Monday 21 July 2014

Grated Beetroot Salad

Posted by Rosie


This Spring I struggled to get some seeds to germinate including beetroot.  I got there in the end and have plenty of small beetroots now happily growing in the veg patch but it will be a while before they are large enough to harvest.  I did sow some early in the polytunnel and these are large enough pull now but there are just not many of them.  (Note to self - sow more beetroot in the polytunnel next Spring!).

So what could I do with a few beetroots on what was probably the hottest day of the year so far?  Not enough for beetroot relish (my favourite) or pickled beetroot and it was too hot for beetroot soup (Simon's favourite) or roasted beetroot.   In fact I really did not want to cook at all.  No - we needed a salad.  Then I remembered a recipe I had seen in a gardening magazine years ago for grated beetroot salad.  A quick check in my recipe folder showed I had all the ingredients so grated beetroot salad it was.


Ingredients


2 raw beetroot, peeled and grated
1 eating apple, peeled and grated
4oz/100g sultanas or raisins
1tbsp/15ml fresh mint, chopped
2 tbsp/30ml sunflower oil
Juice of 1 lemon or lime

Method


Mix together all the ingredients, stirring well.
Serve!

It really is that simple!

This salad can also be made a day in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. In fact we think it improves with keeping.

Grated beetroot salad

Do you have a favourite beetroot recipe?  Please do share because if my late sown beetroots come good we are going to have A LOT of beetroot to eat!  Linking with Tasty Tuesday, What's The Story, ExtraVeg and #FoodieTuesday

 photo 93142f35-6d39-479f-b3de-d94dbca68162_zps58499252.jpg

Extra-Veg-Badge-003
Link up your recipe of the week

27 comments :

  1. wish you had posted this 2 days ago before I boiled the beetroot I had :( sharing this post to my group so I can find it again, thanks I intend to make this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought me a whole lot of beetroots but I intend to juice them with other veges / fruits. Your salad sounds yum. Dropping by from UBC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM love beetroot and this salad looks awesome book marked it now thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents love Beetroot salad. It is a regular at their home. And you are spot-on; the taste does improve when it is stored - probably the oil and lemon juice seep into the beetroot more and release wonderful flavours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Beetroot and this looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is very good and rings the changes from roast or pickled beetroot,

      Delete
  6. Beetroot is one of my fave roots, this salad sounds super yum :-) #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love homegrown beetroot, your salad looks lovely #What'sthestory

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy, Rosie, my mouth is watering. I'm sure you're glad you planted those seeds!
    Oh and thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really delicious, sometimes it is hard to think of different ways to present beetroot, I will have to try this one #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beetroot is a new veggy to me. We dont have this in my country and I dont really have a chance to inspect it. Will do it this afternoon when doing my weekly grocery shopping. The salad looks so shiny and red. Looks yummy. #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very versatile vegetable - you can boil or roast it, pickle it in vinegar or make relish, make salad, eat it covered in white sauce (that then goes pink) and even make chips from it. Do give it a go, Merlinda :)

      Delete
  11. I love the look of this, its a great way to use beetroot. We usually just eat it in slices but this is more exciting

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love beetroot salad. It is one of the things I always buy from the supermarket... have never tried making my own though! Thanks for linking to #ExtraVeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon you'll find a home-made beetroot salad nicer and fresher tasting than a bought one, Nadine!

      Delete
  13. Love this healthy, happy-making beet salad, perfect for these sunny days and BBQ's! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up to #recipeoftheweek - you already know I love this recipe but sorry I'm a bit late over! Have Pinned this post and scheduled in a tweet. New linky just went live for this week :) x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.