Tuesday 7 October 2014

I Can Sense Autumn - A Poem

Posted by Rosie


I Can Sense Autumn


The days shorten and there's a nip in the air.
It's woolly jumpers now, that I want to wear.
I can feel Autumn.

The lowering sun ripens the fruits until they are fit to tumble.
That means the oven's full of apple crumble!
I can taste Autumn.

The plaintiff cry of a curlew in the far away sky
And the cawing of the crows close by.
I can hear Autumn.

Smoke from a bonfire drifts my way,
Grey wisps dance like children at play.
I can smell Autumn.

Red, gold, yellow and brown:
Trees wear their changing colours like a crown.
I can see Autumn.

All around me the signs are there,
To feel, to taste, to hear, to smell and to see.
I can sense Autumn. 


Rosie HILL

9 comments :

  1. I like this Rosie. Really takes you into Autumn. #Prose4T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you've used all the senses - very clever. I particularly like the verse about taste - I'd love a piece of apple crumble now! #prose4t

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely words reminding us how nice Autumn can be. I wore a jumper & scarf today, it's definitely here.
    #Prose4T

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely, and the photo is beautiful too. Autumn can be such a lovely season, even more so in France I imagine! #Prose4T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem :)

    I think I'm in the minority that loves the smell of a bonfire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an evocative poem. I love autumn and this touched on so many things I enjoy x #Prose4T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your kind comments - I feel it needs a bit more work on it but I do agree it sums up much of Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Autumn. All those senses to use. Lovely poetry x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful way to use the five senses. I love this Rosie. Thank you for linking to Prose for Thought :) x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.